Pilgrimage for a Pathway to Citizenship
As part of our Standing on the Side of Love social justice work, UUFKC is very proud to be a supporter and sponsor of the upcoming Pilgrimage for a Pathway to Citizenship, coming to Bakersfield during Labor Day weekend 2013.
Learn more about the pilgrimage and related events here:
Information & Updates: Pilgrimage for a Pathway to Citizenship
Many from UUFKC have stepped up to make all of this happen. We encourage everyone to attend the 10 AM welcoming and 4 PM worship/dinner/training on September 1st, as well as the outreach on Monday morning and the community meeting on Monday afternoon.
However, to make the 4 PM Sunday event happen, we need even more help. Whether or not you are participating in any of the other events, please consider offering your services, skills, and/or purchasing-power to provide the needs below to support your fellowship and faith:
- We need 2-5 able-bodied people at the church at 2 PM on Sept 1st set set up 10-15 banquet tables. This should take less than a half hour.
- Bring your favorite beverage(s) to the worship/dinner/potluck on Sept. 1st, starting at 4 PM. We expect a very large crowd, so a variety is great.
- Bring a hand-held dessert (e.g., cookies, cupcakes, etc.) to the worship/dinner/potluck on Sept. 1st, starting at 4 PM. The dinner will be entirely finger-food (hummus, baba ganouj, pita, falafel, carrots, celery, and grapes), so we would like the dessert to be similar. Sadly, this is not an event for cakes or pies.
If you would like to help in other ways, contact the appropriate person from the working group:
Transportation: Chris Frank & Andy Kendall
Housing: Pat Berthold & Elaine LeCain
UU worship/dinner/training: Marina Oja, Isolde Frank & Minister Summer Albayati-Krikeche
Communications: Marina Oja & Liora Gubkin Malicdem
If there are any questions about this event, feel free to contact Marina or Liora, or anyone on the working group.
Schedule of Events:
Sunday, September 1st
- 10:00 a.m. UUs meet up at Yokuts Park in Bakersfield for morning refreshments, sign-making and getting ready to welcome the pilgrims and accompany them on the last few steps on their journey.
- 11:30 a.m. Welcome and Bless the Pilgrims Arrival in Bakersfield with PICO California Network; outside McCarthy’s office: 4100 Empire Drive, Suite 150 • Bakersfield, CA 93309
- 4:00 p.m. UUs gather at the UU Fellowship of Kern County for worship, reflection, dinner, celebration, training, and to sign-up for volunteer activities on Monday.
Monday, September 2nd (Labor Day)
- 9:00 – noon – participate in outreach, canvassing or event preparation (your choice); UUs Gathering at UU Fellowship of Kern County in Bakersfield
- 4 p.m. Interfaith Community Action for a Pathway to Citizenship with PICO California!! Fox Theater 2001 H Street, Bakersfield (downtown)